Nov

Thanks a lot, George!

american-flag

I saw this coming two years ago. Don’t believe me? Then read this post I wrote almost exactly two years ago.

At the time, I honestly believed the Republicans would answer the wake up call. That they would learn a bitter lesson from the pasting they suffered in 2006. Obviously, I was wrong.

The farcical administration of George W. Bush has given the Democrats their most resounding victory in decades. In what can only be seen as an excoriating indictment not only of the Bush administration, but of the Republican party in general, America has elected an ultra-liberal Democrat with less than four years experience at the federal level. The Democrats have also achieved a stranglehold on both houses of Congress.

In the meantime, Sarah Palin can go back to honing her foreign policy skills by looking across the Bering Strait.

Republicans had their chance and blew it, big time. From January of 2001 until November of 2006, they controlled both houses, while also enjoying the luxury of a Republican president. They had the perfect opportunity to show the Democrats and Liberals alike how it was done. Instead, the Bush years will be remembered as a colossal failure, the arrogance of this administration exceeded only by its incompetence.

The Republican party is supposed to be the party of small(er) government, low taxes, and a thriving economy. The idea was that if you gave corporate America free rein, it would result in prosperity and a robust economy, which in turn would result in a better life for the Americans who worked for these companies. This is an idea I have supported since I’ve been old enough to vote. I believe in the capitalist ideal.

But what we got instead was corporate CEO’s earning 7 and 8 figure salaries while simultaneously cutting employee benefits or eliminating their jobs altogether. Under eight years of George W. Bush, corporate America was given free rein, but it seems as though the only ones who benefited were the CEO’s and the stockholders. And now, even the stockholders are sucking wind.

We got two wars which will not end any time soon, due in part to this administration’s insistence on waging them on the cheap. Now we have an economy in shambles. All George Bush’s fault? Of course not. But these things happened under his watch, and the American people have laid the blame at his doorstep, while showing the Republicans the door.

Americans finally had enough, and gave corporate America and its Republican enablers a collective “Up Yours!”.

While I honestly don’t think we will become a Socialist state, as many alarmists have already predicted, we are no doubt entering an era in which the government, at the explicit request of the American people, will now play a greater role in our lives, for better or for worse. Big Brother Obama wants to “spread the wealth”, which is a nice way of saying he’s going to stick his hand deeper into our pockets. Under an Obama administration, I can certainly see us moving more toward the European model of quasi-socialism, with higher taxes and (perhaps) greater social services. National health insurance may not be that far off. Whether or not that can be accomplished without further decimating the economy remains to be seen. I’m not necessarily saying I welcome this development, but it’s coming just the same. And Republicans have no one to blame but themselves.

But in any event, at least I can say I was a witness to history. And it must be noted that Obama was not only elected by black America, but by white America. Surely that, at least, is something that might give one hope for the future. And I remain ever grateful that I live in a country where, when the election is over, the two candidates practically fall all over themselves trying to say nice things about each other, and the two parties at least try to work together. In many countries, the losers get taken out behind a wall and shot. Most importantly, I am grateful that I live in a country where the will of the people–even when I don’t agree with it–really does count for something.

America needs a breath of fresh air. Now that his election is a fait accompli, a part of me desperately wants to believe that Obama will be that breath of fresh air. I didn’t vote for him, but I do want him to succeed. We simply can’t afford four more years of Presidential failure. But as I watched him deliver his acceptance speech, I was struck, as I have always been, by his youth, and I remain profoundly afraid that he’s just not ready for the job.

I hope I’m wrong. I say: God bless Barak Obama. He’s going to need all the help he can get.

10 Responses to “Thanks a lot, George!”

1. 1 Pamela
    November 5, 2008 at 2:32 am

I am a foreigner. But I have always been a defender of America despite some of it’s attitudes that many in the rest of the world perceives as arrogance. I know that it really isn’t, but the perception is very real for many in other nations.

Until some political or natural disaster befalls them, then all of a sudden Americans are pretty good folks, aren’t they? This is a country that, with all it’s faults, spends billions of dollars per year helping other countries. Ironically, the Bush administration sent more money to Africa than any previous administration, for his he is given little credit.

Your country is extraordinary. Now you have an opportunity to truly join with the rest of the world. I’m sorry your Republican party has been defeated but please remember your country is still a beacon of hope to so many. You and your fellow citizens must join together to build on the solid ideals from America’s history to create a better future for all. You must become citizens of the world.

God bless you.

I would like to think that the America the world has seen the last eight years is certainly not America at it’s best. I have my doubts about Obama, though. But now that he’s here, we just have to pray he’s up to the job.

Thanks for stopping by, and for your kind words!

sps

2. November 5, 2008 at 5:52 am

Well said, Smith. As usual I agree with just about everything you say. I tend to shy away from such topics myself, but have no problem giving credit where credit is due. Now hold on tight and let’s hope there aren’t too many bumps on this ride. πŸ˜‰

3. November 5, 2008 at 8:05 am

Hi Smith

Yes I too believe that change is at foot here and there is likely plenty of blame to go around. I think that the positives will include an instant change in the way Americans have come to be perceived by many other countries. I believe that this will result in more prosperity for all and the rhetoric is toned down and solutions are sought to very complicated issues. Above all I think that the biggest change may be in the way that Americans will find hope in the words of this administration. I do not hear about what we should fear but instead what we should be thankful for while looking forward to a better tomorrow. This is what makes me excited about tomorrow.

Bryan

4. November 5, 2008 at 8:29 am

i kinda get the feeling the next four years will be like the late seventies and the Carter years. Regardless of who the president is we are facing hard times. I too hope that there will be possitive change but figure we will get change for the sake of change…

5. November 5, 2008 at 12:29 pm

I try to stay away from the political debates and such, but today I am left with a nagging sickness in my stomach. I have been dismayed for months by the Obama leaning of the media. They seemed too quick to dismiss any issues that were brought up regarding their candidate. Call it a hunch, but I do not see America’s best interest in his heart.

However, I too will be praying for a unity of our nation. We cannot heal if we attempt to place party issues ahead of national issues. Some have voted down issues simply because they were not presented by the party of choice.

Here’s to what shall come. May we have the strength to withstand our adversaries, whoever they may be.

6. November 5, 2008 at 7:46 pm

How long ago did you write this post, oh channeler of Jeanne Dixon? :mrgreen:
    And as far as Obama being green . . .
    Jesus kripies, you are facking spot on, Smith.
    God help us all.

7. 7 Kim
    November 5, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I have a feeling that the Democrats won’t accomplish anything more with a democratic house and president than the republicans, it’s all a bunch of hullabaloo. It really takes longer than four years to implement change. I mean look at football. No one expects a new coach to come in and completely turn a team around in two months. πŸ™‚
    It’s been an interesting day for sure. And like you, I find that while I am not a big fan of Obama, I’d like to see him be somewhat successful, if for no other reason than it appears so many Americans are desperately clinging to the belief that this one man is capable of doing something magical.
    Regardless, I’ll raise a glass to America, the greatest country in the world. Regardless of who is president.
    Kim

8. November 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm

I think that the mess that we are in will take more than one man to get us out of. We are in for some rough sailing.