Apr

be afraid. be very afraid

I don’t normally write a post strictly about something that someone else has written, but once in a while someone says what I’ve been thinking better than I could say it myself.

In today’s Boston Globe Perry Glasser, who coordinates the professional writing program at Salem State College, writes an op/ed piece entitled “The Dance of the Bees”, which really hit home with me.

Those who have read this blog for awhile are familiar with my dismay with the teen and twenty-something generation. One emailer accused me of “hating” teenagers.

Not true. My job brings me in constant contact with older teens and younger twenty-somethings, and I sometimes find their brash way of looking at the world refreshing. But I do feel that this generation, as a group, has been duped into thinking that they will be regarded by their peers as a lower form of life if they don’t have:

1. A cell phone
  2. An iPod
  3. A Facebook or MySpace page.

Glasser’s piece reflects my own anxieties about this generation. Simply put, these are the people who will be running the joint when I’m ready for the nursing home. Read Glasser’s piece, and be afraid.

Be very, very afraid.

6 Responses to “be afraid. be very afraid”

1. April 25, 2008 at 8:15 am

Coming from the ‘sex, drugs, and rock and roll’ era, I have no doubt that they will be alright in the end. It’s a new day, I prefer to roll with it rather than bitch about it.

2. April 25, 2008 at 9:24 am

Being that I am of this generation (although I’m on the older side going on 30), I feel that I must give a little of my own point of view. While Echo Boomers (millenials, Gen Y) are more linked than any other generation. This has helped us keep in touch with high school friends, meet people we would’ve never met before, and find ways to close the gap in communication styles. The problem is that quite a few people my age and younger don’t think about the consequences of their actions…Oh wait…Didn’t all the other generations do the same when they were this young?

Like the article stated, cars revolutionized “hooking up”, and rock-n-roll challenged authority and helped teens express the desire to let go of inhibitions. Consequences weren’t looked at until all of a sudden, the child becomes an adult and they now have responsibilities that change maturity levels. Granted, today, I am slightly concerned that the consequences could out-weigh the ability for solid futures, but then again, every generation has found a way to accept those younger years of life and move on. What this generation does today might result in criticism later in life for those who exposed themselves so much, however, I also think our society is changing right along with this generation. Sometimes to us, it’s moving slower than we feel it should, while in other areas, baby boomers were way ahead of their time.

Companies are researching this generation and how it ticks. They want to know how to market, employ, connect, and respect the youth of today. They want to know how we are going to affect the working place tomorrow. While we may be seen as whiney, idiotic, and pessimistic, there are many qualities that I think will help shape a better society. As a foster parent, I feel that this generation and the generation of tomorrow has seen more abuse than previous generations. This will undoubtedly affect the way people think as they grow up understanding what had heppened and how to correct it. Women, while gaining an awesome education, are also recognizing the importance of a parent raising a child by being there. I have gotten to know more and more women who are staying home with the kids than I ever knew growing up. Those same women are successful in business and many have started working from home.

We’re learning to work smarter instead of harder. Which, if I remember, was something that we were always told to do by parents and teachers alike. So, while the anxieties may be valid, we have to remind ourselves that each generation has a cycle and we’ll learn greatly by our parents’ mistakes along with those of our own. I can only imagine the anxieties our generation will have with our children when they get to be in their teens and early twenties.

3. April 26, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Have to say, I agree with Shaun.

And younger generations don’t create the world at that point. They have to grow up in the world they are presented. They have to learn to survive in the world they are presented.

Since parent’s have their hands full, are using TV to keep their children entertained, or video games, are we really surprised that as they grow older they gravitate to electronic and fast paced interactions?

And like we and before us our parents did, they will learn too. They will have to use all the networks they can get to save this planet. Which again, they only inherited.

I don’t know Smith, but I think it’s them that are scared. And I don’t blame them.

4. April 28, 2008 at 6:34 am

Whilst I share many of your fears, I tend to think Evyl has the right attitude. There is little we can do, and doubtlessly our parents and their friends despaired we would ever turn into rational adults with values, ethics, morals and a conscience. Given these are the things many of “our” generation hold dear, it’s never easy to see the younger generation NOT see those things as important. And that’s basically what it is. Different priorities.

5. May 11, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Spaz may be onto something. These kids are scared.
    It’s a different world we live in and it seems that on many levels these kids have much on their plate.
    Wouldn’t you just crap your pants if you found out that some of these kids were listening to Brahms instead of Weezer?
    This is a tough issue that (IMHO) has many correct answers.
    Just think one of these ‘kids’ may ultimately find a cure for cancer.
    Lot’s of food for thought here.

6. June 2, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I think Shaun’s comment was very truthful and well-said. Teenagers and young adults go through that turning point in their lives where they are going to explore. Curiosity is natural and necessary, and whatever technologies are available won’t change who they are, just what they do or how they do it. People are more than just the sum of their experiences.