Apr

New nest for the raven

I tied up some loose ends in the previous post, but I wanted to give this little tidbit its own space.

In case you haven’t noticed by now, “Murder of Ravens” has its own domain, “murderofravens.org”. Those good people at WordPress sell domain names for a measly $15 per year, complete with the redirect from the “wordpress.com” domain where all the WordPress blogs are housed. You don’t have to buy the domain from WordPress, but given my lack of technical expertise on these matters, it was just easier to buy it from them since they take care of all the technical junk for you.

Why did I do this, you ask? No really good reason, apart from the ego gratification of having my own domain, plus the fact that “murderofravens.org” seems a little snazzier and is certainly more streamlined than “murderofravens.wordpress.com”.

The only really salient point here is that while it is NOT necessary to change your blogroll or bookmarks, (the old URL simply redirects you to the new one), you SHOULD use the “murderofravens.org” URL if, for some strange reason, you actually feel compelled to link to this blog. Otherwise I may never be made aware of it, since the link won’t show up in my blog stats. Since I really do like to thank people who are kind enough to give me a link (even if I am a bit tardy in doing so), using the new URL will ensure that I see the link and can thank the linker.

I should also mention that there is another blog with a similar name, murderofravens.COM. That is NOT me. I only found out about this when I found I wasn’t able to register murderofravens.com, since it was already taken.

As you might imagine, this was a trifle annoying. After all, one puts a great deal of thought into coming up with a catchy, original name for one’s blog. When I started it, I don’t think I knew three people who even knew what a “murder of ravens” was, so I figured I was being pretty darn original, if I do say so myself. Now I find out that some clever soul has thought up the same name. Oh, well. I suppose cyberspace is big enough for two “murderofravens”.Β  And besides, .org has a little more cache, I guess. πŸ˜‰

As always, thanks to all who are so generous with their time and continue visit my little corner of cyberspace.

-smith

9 Responses to “New nest for the raven”

1. April 2, 2008 at 7:02 am

You don’t need to convince me on the self hosting thing…I bless kelly for mine every day..I did notice the URL as you know…

A very observant Nanny you are. πŸ˜‰

2. 2 ali
    April 2, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I think we all noticed and it changed nothing because we love visting you and .org/.com will not keep us away πŸ˜‰ I was afraid of the same thing when I switched to Silent Verses. I will make sure that I have you listed on my peeps correctly too. I do think it gives your site flair to have your own domain –not to mention the ability to play with themes as you know I do…

Yes, I noticed you added your own domain as well. I’ve updated my blogroll to reflect that. Thanks for stopping by.

April 2, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Well there, Smith, you’ve gone and done it. Congratulations. I’ll go right now and change my link to the new address.

I wanted to extend somewhat of a humble apology. You mentioned in your last post about your poems being the most special to you, and your favorite things that flow from within you. I want you to know they are loved deeply by myself as well. But you couldn’t tell it from my comments. And therein is my apology. The three recent poems were so (can’t think of an adequate adjective here,) well, amazing, that I found nothing to say about them. I felt them more than I could express. And so I remained silent. As a fellow blogger who slips in a poem whenever the hair grows long enough on my balls, I should have known better than to remain silent. I apologize, my friend. Keep sharing with us and I promise to be more vocal in my praise and enjoyment. Thank you for your understanding.

No need to apologize, my friend. Your frequent visits and kind words are always appreciated. Feel free to go back and leave a comment, though. πŸ˜‰

4. April 2, 2008 at 8:48 pm

I’ll change it but I’m still pissed.

Haiku loving friend,
    When poems defy description
    It’s best to let them.
    πŸ˜‰

April 2, 2008 at 11:51 pm

He’s got all fancy on us now. Sheeesh!
    And some of us do know what a murder of ravens consists of πŸ™‚

Oh, I’m not surprised that you know. Your dirty little mind is full of surprises. 😈

6. April 5, 2008 at 9:50 am

I used to work at a shop waaaay out in the sticks. It was on the highest point of land in the vicinity so we had a commanding view of all the woods around. There was a thicket down the east side that was home base to a Murder of Ravens and we were able to observe them at length. They have a very ordered society with laws and taboos that must be observed. I and my Hopi friend Doug watched this in action one morning. One of the birds had apparently committed a very serious crime and was on trial. The others had him under guard of two birds while they discussed the situation at a short distance. The verdict was banishment or death and the offender chose death. They executed him in a terrible fray then carried the pieces of his remains away in four directions.

Um, Beto? Just what exactly did they sell at that shop? Something that goes in a pipe, maybe? πŸ˜‰

7. April 8, 2008 at 7:43 pm

smith,
    congratulations on your new home. i believe the link i have is correct. snazzy.
    sarah

Hey, Sarah! Thanks for stopping by!

8. April 8, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Seems your new home doesn’t inspire more posts though…. πŸ˜‰

Har-de-har! πŸ˜‰

April 9, 2008 at 7:57 pm

He-He-He
    Spas just made me chuckle.

Yeah, she’s a real knee-slapper, that Spas.