Mar

The Bush by the Mill, a haiku

Sweet amber solace
Burns all the way to my soul
Sears away the pain.

-Stephen P. Smith

12 Responses to “The Bush by the Mill, a haiku”

1. March 20, 2008 at 10:05 am

You have just described my love for Macallan.

Yeah, that was pretty much the idea. But for me, it’s the Irish! πŸ˜‰

2. 2 Spaz
    March 20, 2008 at 1:27 pm

The fact that I actually get what you’re describing is slightly worrisome.

Nah, it just means you’re my kinda gal! 8)

There was a time I would have suspected you’re talking about some George Eliott novel, but I guess my innocent days are long gone…… πŸ˜‰

Clearly.

Nicely done Mr. Smith. Cheers!

Thank you!

3. March 20, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I didn’t get it. I LOVED the flow of the feeling of the words – it is very calming. But, I was picturing a burning bush and hoping you weren’t referring to a naked redhead….

I’m ALWAYS thinking of a certain naked redhead. 😈

So i googled Macallan and it suddenly made perfect sense!

Ah, glad you figured it out. πŸ˜‰

4. March 20, 2008 at 8:38 pm

To read your poems
    They make me think a long time
    of man’s condition

My dear friend Beto
    Your comments mean a great deal.
    Thanks for coming by.

March 20, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Niiice. But remember, there are also other ways to ease the pain πŸ˜‰

Perhaps, but this one works. Immediately.

hahah @ Lolly.

Hey, don’t you go pickin’ on my Lolly! On this blog, she had diplomatic immunity! πŸ˜‰

6. March 21, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Oh wow, now I get it. There are other ways to ease the pain but just once in a while and a teeny bit of “Sweet amber solace” does relax you. I like Haiku. My son-in-law is 1/4 Japanese so we have Haiku poems around the house.

I tried to make it so you had to think a minute to get the point. It seems as though I succeeded. I’m not a big haiku guy, yet for some reason this form seemed appropriate for the subject. Thanks for stopping by!

7. 7 ~m
    March 21, 2008 at 8:34 pm

I already possess too much info on this one.
    “Sweet amber solace” works for me.
    Sometimes a bit too well.

The curse of the Irishman, laddie. πŸ˜‰ And thanks for the idea about the picture.

8. 8 Ali
    March 22, 2008 at 5:33 am

I can picture you sitting there. Very clever description Stephen. Makes my mouth water πŸ˜‰

Thank you, as always, for those kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

March 22, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Excellent choice. Excellent haiku. Hopefully it was an excellent day.

Thank you!

10. March 22, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I woke up out back
    Bugs were crawling in my hair
    Wild Turkey is bad

My dear friend, embrace
    Moderation in all things.
    The path of wisdom.

11. March 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Such beauty i found here, your simplicity is perfect. I can feel my heart as I say these words aloud…

Thank you for leaving such kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

12. 12 evylsmoke
    March 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm

sears away the intestines, too

Yeah, well, there’s a price to be paid for everything, right?