Nov

some friends i’ve made along the way

Yeah, that’s me, when I was out in California. My sister took this picture unbeknown to me, as I contemplated the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean. I don’t remember what I was thinking about. Life? God? Whether to order the shrimp or the tenderloin? Who can say?

2007 has been an interesting year for your humble scribe. My son came back from Iraq, older, wiser, and perhaps a little sadder. My marriage of eight years ended. On the plus side, I have found more time and energy for writing, and surely that is worth something.

Along the way I have hit a few milestones. One year of blogging. 35,000 hits. A renewed acquaintance with my poetry muse. But most importantly of all, I’ve made some new friends. Here are some of them:

Smoke & Mirrors: Really, it has to start here. Michael is the one who started me on the road to blogging. He clearly had no idea what he was getting himself into. Over the past year, he has tolerated not only my endless (and often repetitive) technical questions, but also my frequent lapses into blogslackery. Truly, no teacher ever had a more irksome pupil. And yet, he’s always there, giving me encouragement, and answering my many questions. His writing is a fascinating mix of wry humor and a deeply spiritual way of looking at the world. For me, it is appointment reading. It should be for you, as well.

Spasmically Perfect: They once made a movie called “A Beautiful Mind”. If they made one about Spaz, it would be called “A Beautiful Soul.” Just making her acquaintance made this whole blogging thing worthwhile. She is my friend, my fellow poet, and my occasional cyber-therapist. Her prose reads like fine poetry, and her poetry reads like it was dictated to her by an angel.

Eleven: A fellow pipe smoker from Ohio, he combines the mid-western penchant for clear thinking and common sense with the soul of a poet.

Nanny’s Nook: Industrial strength common sense. I wish I had had a Nanny like her!

The Lovely Rose: Lovely indeed! A truly sweet person who doesn’t post nearly often enough!

Dr. Pepper is Good for the Soul: Red hair. A dirty mind. A love of 19th century literature. Could there be a more perfect woman?

From Evyl with Love: He is bawdy. He is irreverent. He is, well, Evyl. He is also funny as all hell. Read this blog, preferably after the small children have been sent to bed. You will laugh your ass off–you just won’t feel good about yourself while you’re doing it. 😉

Responding to the Skeptics: Religious issues your bag? Check this out. You may not agree with everything he writes, but he presents a variety of interesting topics.

The Bad Idea Blog: We disagree on almost everything, but he writes with style and penetrating insight. The blog may be called “Bad Idea”, but reading it is a very Good Idea.

The Bootleg Bon Vivant: Another fellow pipe smoker. An interesting site for those interested in pipes, tobacco, and good living in general.

Writer Chick Talks: Annie and I have been known to differ. 😉 But whether I agree with her or not, it is impossible to read her blog and not be impressed with the wit and style that infuses her every post.

Nukes New’s and Views: one of the hardest working bloggers on the internet. If you enjoy conservative opinion, this is the place for you. Thoughtful, intelligent writing combined with up to date political news. I am an occasional guest blogger on this site.

I admire them as writers, and I value them as friends.

14 Responses to “some friends i’ve made along the way”

1. November 21, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Thanks Smith. 🙂 I’m hoping to start having even more entries soon myself. It’s been a pretty unique year for all of us and I’m really hoping for a calmer 2008.

My pleasure. Yes, a calm–might I even say uneventful–2008 would be nice, but then, what would we write about?

November 21, 2007 at 2:29 pm

Aw, MrSmith, thank you. I truly feel honored to be mentioned here, especially with these wonderful people. I, too am very fortunate to know you, and I’m proud to call you a friend. I received your email *blush* and will be responding shortly!

Rock the universe, Red, rock the universe.

November 21, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Doh! I forgot to mention … what a great picture that is. A wonderful memory caught on camera. I’m sure you’ll never forget your trip to Cali.

My sister took that when I wasn’t looking. It is a pretty cool picture. I had a great time in California…there will be a post on that subject in the near future. The good news is that she’s already invited me back next year!

4. November 21, 2007 at 6:00 pm

industrial strength? now that’s a new one..to be mentioned amongst such quality company is remarkable….
    🙂

But richly deserved!

blogslacker??? absobloodylutely you are!!! get your act together man!
    😉

Well, I’ve gotten better, haven’t I?

that ~m is responsible for more than just your blog! yours, mine, annie’s…and i have no doubt there more he hasn’t mentioned!!
    🙄

That ~m is a remarkable fellow.

5. November 21, 2007 at 6:02 pm

oh, and a great pic by the way…i’m about to wander over to the about page and check out your noggin…do i need some type of filter for my eyes???
    😆

No, but you should probably reset your monitor to an extra-wide resolution. 😉

November 21, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Always nice to be mentioned, especially by a fine soul such as yourself. Hat tipped to you my good sir.

My pleasure!

November 21, 2007 at 9:11 pm

Rock the universe .. that statement causes a nervous giggle for some reason ;]

Really? How interesting.

I cant wait to read all about California .. ! Well you had better give me ample notice before you leave next year! I’mma going too!

Sounds good to me. 😉

8. November 21, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Hey Smith,
    LOL – yes we differ from time to time, but I truly respect anyone who is willing to lock horns with me. You’ve had a mixed bag this year it seems, but I think you have turned it to your favor and done miraculous things. Stick around, it’s about to get a lot more fun.

Mixed bag, indeed. But fear not; I have no intention of going anywhere.

Thanks for the nice mention too.

A pleasure!

Annie

9. 9 ~m
    November 22, 2007 at 10:18 am

You’ve been an apt pupil Mr. Smith.
    As far as blogslackery, you are indeed getting better with age.

Thank you, sensei. 😉

Thanks again for the mention. I’m honored to be on this list with so many wonderful writers/bloggers.
    Keep the faith, bud

You’re in good company, where you deserve to be.

10. November 22, 2007 at 12:40 pm

What an impressive list! Eclectic, informed, creative, did I leave anything out? Oh, yes, and humble. Heh.

It’s an interesting group, to be sure.;)

11. November 22, 2007 at 8:02 pm

Just spent a short while going through your posts, loads to enjoy and savour, will read more over the next few weeks. Thanks for you encouraging post on my blog. Best wishes Smithy.

Hey, Dub! Thanks for stopping by. Always good to meet a fellow pipe smoker. Don’t be a stranger.

12. November 23, 2007 at 10:40 am

Lol, uneventful would be boring. Like I said, calmer would be a little nicer and there would still be plenty to write about.

Very true!

13. December 2, 2007 at 10:25 am

Hey, Smith. I’m glad you consider me a friend. and it was a rush to read this and see me in the list! I’m sorry I didn’t comment sooner. I guess I was speechless. 🙂 And then I was out of town for a few days, etc.

I’ve enjoyed your writings and hope you continue to share.

14. April 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm

I was surfing around and I can’t believe that I missed this post. Thanks so much for what you said. The way you described my blog was just what I intended it to be when I came up with it.

Well, it would appear you have succeeded.

Thanks again, you have made my day.

Always glad to help. 😉