Oct

Greetings from sunny california

I survived a six hour plane ride and my own fear of flying. Six hours of renaissance music helps. I’m probably the last person in the western hemisphere who hasn’t traded in his Walkman for an iPod, but that’s only because iPods are evil.

My sister was kind enough to let me use her computer. It’s good to be the big brother.

I’ve decided I like palm trees, 80 degree weather in October, and having the ocean on my left when I walk north. There seems to be a burrito stand on every street corner, which is unsettling, but there’s a Starbucks on all the other corners, so that’s okay.

I may never come back.

I’ve spent the day making candles in my sister’s candle shop (I guess that’s what happens when you visit a self-employed relative for your vacation). It’s fun, actually. Not all that dissimilar from blending tobacco, my usual occupation. Just like in the blending room, the scents get into your head, and you’re in your own little world, which is where I usually like to be anyway. Plus I can smoke my pipe as I work, a definite plus (take THAT, Henry Waxman!)

So now it’s off to dinner, drinks, and cigars. I could get really used to this.

-smith

10 Responses to “Greetings from sunny california”

1. October 19, 2007 at 5:47 am

One has to love the change in tone between this post and the last!

That’s worth conquering any fear πŸ˜‰ .

Enjoy.

2. October 19, 2007 at 7:57 am

I am jealous. Sounds like a great way to just bum around, do nothing and everything all at once, it also sounds like a good time to let the creative juices flow, esp. if there is scenery like the pic you posted…i predict a great piece of poetry from that soul of yours once it rests….looking forward to it. Have fun….kim

3. 3 ~m
    October 19, 2007 at 9:22 pm

Six hours of renaissance music helps.

I would have already killed the flight staff and the pilot.
    What happened to Little Walter you traitor bastard? πŸ˜†

4. 4 ~m
    October 19, 2007 at 9:25 pm

I may never come back.
    I think this may make Charlie’s dream come true. πŸ˜‰

5. October 20, 2007 at 12:33 am

Hey, Smith! I really wasn’t expecting you to have been here. But it’s good to know you survived the crowd-killer. πŸ™‚ And haven’t totally forgotten about us, yet.
    Have fun!

6. October 20, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Hope you are still partying your ass off.

7. October 23, 2007 at 3:21 am

I hope your sister doesn’t live in Malibu.
    Diru

8. 8 joebec
    October 23, 2007 at 5:48 pm

what a beautiful pic! i’m so glad you are doing well out there. have fun!!

9. October 24, 2007 at 11:35 am

I hope you’re not too close to those fires.

10. October 25, 2007 at 10:36 am

Still waiting for ocean poems……….sigh…..
    Hope you’re nowhere near those nasty fires and your family is ok.