Aug

Fate, approximately….a poem

A new born babe I cradle in my arms.
Is his future planned ahead of him?
I’ll do my best to keep this boy from harm
And guide his steps in life.  Bit if the whim

Of fate can do to him whate’er it will,
How can I change the path he walks in life?
This babe may be a murderer doomed to kill,
He may grow up a drunk who beats his wife.

Little boy, whom fate has sent to me,
How can I protect you from the world?
I cannot keep you ever on my knee,
Safe and happy in a blanket furled.

Tiny child I do not know your fate,
If you were born to love or born to hate.

–Stephen P. Smith

10 Responses to “Fate, approximately….a poem”

1. 1 alison
    August 21, 2007 at 9:40 am

Thank you for your complements and comments, Stephen. You made me smile. Is this beautiful poem about a recent event…if so congratulations…fate is the most important part of one’s life that can be changed with a moment’s decision -0-the awesome responsibility we all feel as parents concerning our child’s or children’s fate is overwhelming. I love this one.

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it. This is one that I’ve had kicking around for a long time, but I could never get it right, so I set it aside. A recent birth in my family made me think about it again, so I dusted it off and reworked it.

2. August 21, 2007 at 10:38 am

Finally another one 🙂
    Love the subject. Love the questions. Love the realisation. Love the contrasts.
    Love the last two lines.

Thank you.

As for the rest, you’ll have to help me out (e-mail to follow).

I’ll look forward to seeing it.

3. 3 joebec
    August 21, 2007 at 12:22 pm

MMM….chilling…

Interesting response. As a parent yourself, I’m sure you can relate to what was going through my mind here.

August 21, 2007 at 8:17 pm

*sigh* One often wonders, and can only hope for the best it seems.

5. August 22, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Another *sigh*
    This one must hit too close to home or something – there’s just nothing I can say.

6. August 22, 2007 at 11:13 pm

I feel like breaking out and singing an old Doris Day Tune. Good Job.

7. August 23, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Sorry, I know I still owe you that e-mail.
    Hopefully tonight.

8. 8 ~m
    August 23, 2007 at 11:04 pm

I’m kinda with Evyl but I felt like singing an Ethyl Merman song wearing coconut shells under my shirt. 😉
    Kidding.
    Nice post with so many interesting things to think about.
    I often wonder about my middle daughter, the Silent Girl . . .

9. August 28, 2007 at 6:09 pm

As a parent I understand the questions you ask. I truly believe that children learn what they live so, a good example seems a great place for anyone to start in forming their futures. Great writing. It reminded me of all those sleepless nights!

10. 10 samanthamj
    August 28, 2007 at 8:55 pm

hmmmm… I liked this poem… and want to reject the message of it at the same time. ?? As a mother of 2 young boys, I don’t like to even fathom the idea that they could grow up to be wife beaters or murderers. Maybe it’s wishful thinking with a twist of denial – but really – I just can’t see it as even a remote possibility. I know we can not know or control completely our own fates, let alone our kids… but, well, I will continue to try to at least keep one finger on the steering wheel of fate… with my boys buckled in securely, and my other hand hovering over the emergency brake. Why do I feel like grounding them both all of a sudden?? LOL 😉
    ~smj