Jul

Call your Congressmen now!!

I’ll get right to the point here: the U. S. Senate is contemplating a bill which would raise the tax on premium cigars from 5 cents per cigar to a whopping $10 per cigar! That is an increase of 20,000%!! Taxes on other forms of tobacco would be similarly affected. Once again the federal government is exploiting the tobacco industry’s status as the lawmakers’ favorite whipping boy.

I would urge anyone who enjoys fine cigars or pipe tobacco (and believe me, there are still millions of us around) to contact their Senators and Congressmen. You can find your Congressman by clicking on this link. You can find your Senators here.

You can read an article about this here. And you can read an excellent post on the ramifications of this, written by one of WordPress’s finest bloggers, here.

Tobacco taxes have been our lawmaker’s favorite new toy for some years now, because the dilemma if you’re a politician is always how to raise taxes without jeopardizing your political future. Raise the tax on gasoline or alcohol, and you face banishment to the Dreaded Private Sector. The very thought sends shivers down your spine.

But the wonder of the tobacco tax is that it can be employed over and over again, for two reasons. First, smokers themselves have become a politically impotent minority. To be blunt, no one gives a shit about the smoker or his or her rights. Secondly, these debates are always framed around that obnoxious catchphrase, “it’s for the children”. Liberal gasbag Max Baucus (D-Montana) came out with this beauty: “When given the choice between standing with big tobacco companies and standing with kids, I stand with America’s children.”

Gee, Max, Americans are SO relieved to hear that you’re not standing against the children. After all, anybody who opposes these tax increases must be against the children, right? And so they just keep using this risk free means of raising taxes, over and over and over again. Harry Potter himself could not contrive anything more magical for the tax hungry politician.

But everyone seems to forget two things. First, it makes no sense to fund social welfare programs by taxing an industry out of existence, particularly when that industry has historically produced trillions in tax revenues.

Second, if the tobacco industry is taxed out of existence, the government will have to replace that lost tax revenue somehow. And if they can take my pipe and cigar away from me today, they can take your little pleasure away from you tomorrow.

Think about it.

–Smith

8 Responses to “Call your Congressmen now!!”

July 23, 2007 at 11:23 pm

WHAT? A mere nickel to ten bones? That’s pshh, I don’t know. That’s more than just outrageous. That’s criminal. I no longer smoke, but I still absolutely loooove the smell of cigars and pipe tobacco. Love it. If I see a man smoking one, I’ll stand as close as possible, but far enough that I’m not giving off pyscho vibes, just to smell it. I’ll click the link, Smith. Thanks for the info!

Awww, Red! I’ve already told you that you can stand as close to me as you want to!

-S

2. July 23, 2007 at 11:59 pm

I wrote a piece about this issue, last week at nuke’s.

At the time, the proposed taxes on cigars wasn’t mentioned. Irrespective of the taxes they would like to squeeze out of smokers for their plan, it won’t be signed by W.
    In the six months since the Dhimmicrats took control of Congress, they have had one significant piece of legislation signed into law, the Iraq War Funding Bill, and have instigated three hundred investigations into the Bush administration. I think this bill is another in a long line of bills that aren’t intended to become law, but to create more sound bite opportunities and propaganda for the Dhimmis to use in the ’08 elections.

BTW, good to see you’re back up MOR, and hope all is copacetic.

Thanks for stopping by, N2L! And yes, that was a great piece! I hope everyone will stop by your blog and read it!

-S

3. July 24, 2007 at 10:38 am

I must remind you, it’s nuke’s blog, he just lets me play in his yard.
    The innernut makes for a nice play ground, don’t it?

4. July 24, 2007 at 11:04 am

Politics! I’m not devious enough to appreciate the convoluted maneuverings.

It’s a pain in the ass, believe me.

5. 5 ~m
    July 26, 2007 at 7:49 am

I’m with you all the way on this one.
    Again, something we can both agree on :0)

Now if could only get you to see the light on Thomas (MF) Tallis.

August 3, 2007 at 1:40 pm

No2 hit the nail on this one. This is just another attempt to make the politicians pushing it be able to brag about their fancy resume. Furthermore, a resume that says what? They “talked” about a whole bunch of stuff and didn’t really do anything?A resume filled with lies and propoganda that the American media and citizens seem to be lapping up like sheep? So sad and pathetic.

All that said, what if No2 and I are wrong? What if they are actually going to push this thing through? To make my voice a little louder, I’ll be sure to click on the Congressman link and scream what I have to say. The revolution was fought over taxes on teas and tobacco, I’m ready to start another one if it means keeping my precious pipes packed.

Go get ’em, Tiger!