Feb

This is where I draw the line

It’s been a tough couple of weeks for yours truly. Let’s see, where do I begin here? As some of you already know, my computer died (or at least went into a coma.) Then, the engine in my car blew up (with me in it). I was on the side of the road for over an hour in sub-freezing weather waiting for the tow truck. Thank God for AAA.

Everyone who drives a car should have AAA. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you don’t need it just because you have towing insurance on your car. Unless he’s desperate for a reason to like himself, your insurance agent is not going to get out of bed at two in the morning to tow your car for you.

But I digress.

To futher add to my stressful state of mind, I just found out that my son is coming back from Iraq in about two weeks. Yes, I know this is a good thing, but it also means I’m going to be on edge for the next two weeks. Anyone who has a loved one over there knows exactly what I mean.

And finally, I managed to put my foot in my mouth on someone else’s blog, for which I was roundly (and justifiably) taken to task. A lesson well learned, but one I would have rather not learned the hard way.

But I definitely reached my nadir the other day, when I was getting ready to type a letter to a customer. All of a sudden, the Microsoft Office Assistant (you know, the talking paper clip) springs up out of nowhere and starts offering to help me write my letter. This was mildly astonishing as well as annoying because I thought I had turned him off for good.

Now look, I’m a big boy (especially around the middle). I have a thick skin. I can tolerate life’s little slings and arrows. I like to think I’m man enough to admit when I’m wrong, and I have no problem taking criticism from others, but let’s make one thing perfectly clear:

I am not taking any shit from a talking paper clip!!!!

There, I feel better now.

–Smith

11 Responses to “This is where I draw the line”

1. February 15, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Great news about your son. My son says he will be going sometime this Summer.

You will both be in my prayers. Your son has my undying admiration and gratitude, and I know there are millions in this country who still share those feelings. You should be proud of him.

2. 2 joebec
    February 15, 2007 at 7:22 pm

i will be praying for your son’s safe return. i had a cousin over there for 22 months and i know how nailbiting it can be.

Thank you for that. It means a lot.

as for the paper clip? idk what to tell you on that one, bend him up so you don’t get bent out of shape.. LOL oh god that was corny!!

corny, but cute.

3. February 15, 2007 at 11:03 pm

Huaaaaaaa…… I love it! I am against violence in general but that paper clip deserved a punch in the…. well…. wherever paperclips hurt…. Thanks for doing us all a favour 😉 .

Yeah! Bend ’em where it counts, baby!

4. February 16, 2007 at 1:08 am

ever thought about changing the paper clip to the little dog…or cat? be easier to take from one of them maybe 😉
    hoep the 2 weeks pass quickly for you…

Somehow the idea of having my writing criticized by a talking dog or cat isn’t going down much better than the paper clip. I think I’ll just keep them all in purgatory.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my son.

5. February 16, 2007 at 9:29 am

How about if it was a hot and naughty secretary?

Well, that might be ok 8)

6. February 16, 2007 at 11:12 am

LoL!!!! Think Spring…the swan boats and daffodils at the Public Garden…Rutting Season…golf??? GolfGirl

Uhhhh, rutting season? Well, uh, yeah, sure, why not?

7. February 17, 2007 at 7:40 pm

I hope the two weeks pass too quickly for you to dwell on the wait.

They won’t, but I appreciate the thought, anyway.

Kick the sh*t outta that clip anytime it comes up – it deserves it, without question.

Oh,yeah. Annoying little git. I thought I had clobbered him permanently, but there he was leering at me. As I said, if another writer wants to criticize me, I will always listen. A talking paper clip? Sorry, it’s off to cyber-purgatory with the likes of him. 8)

What does it sound like when and engine blows up? Is it a big boom or something like that? Sorry, but I am sincerely interested in that. I hope it doesn’t hurt you to remember. 😉

I want you to know that you’re dredging up very painful memories here, but since it’s you, I’ll make the sacrifce. 😉 OK, seriously, it sounded like an enourmous marble had suddenly been let loose in my engine, and was rattling away with alarming volume. Next thing you know the car had stalled (permanently, as it turned out) and it was all I could do to navigate the car from left lane of the highway to the breakdown lane. A most uncomfortable few moments, I can assure you. Luckily it was later in the evening, and there was minimal traffic, or this could have turned out a lot worse.

Hope this answers your question. If not, send me an email and I’ll be glad to go into more detail.

Look at it this way – at least you got all the crappy stuff out of the way – so now the good karma will have to come your way. right?
    WC

Actually, if the truth be told, I really don’t have a lot to complain about. Yes, it’s been an annoying few weeks, but I try to look at the big picture. All in all, my life ain’t so bad. I have a woman in my life who loves me for who I am (yeah, I know, go figure), I have a good extended family, and I even like my job. And besides, the car was still under warranty! In times of adversity, I try to keep my chin up because I realize that things usually get better again.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you stopped by!

8. February 17, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Good luck to your son in making a smooth transition. It must be tough.

It is. A lot can happen in two weeks. I have to admit I’ll be on edge for the next to weeks. I’m excited at the prospect of his return, but by now I know what an unreliable source of information the Army can be. So I’m trying to supress my excitement until I actually see him getting off the airplane. But thank you for the kind words! It means a lot.

9. February 18, 2007 at 11:05 pm

Good to know your son is due home in two weeks. I guess the time will go more quickly for him.

Just to let you know you are not alone in your general frustration levels – I managed to lock the car without putting the handbreak on last Friday. 30 years of driving, no claim, clean licence. I won’t go into the grizzly details (no one was hurt thank God) but It’s a mess – possibly beyond repair. Hang my head in shame.

BTW thanks for the kind words on Zot Media Inc. I was overstreaching myself. I’ve settled back into a toon here a toon there and I get to speak to my wife and kids. Ho Hum, human ineraction – I’ll just have to get used to it again!

You remain on my fav’s list.

warm regards to you and yours.

10. February 22, 2007 at 1:40 am

At least there isn’t a helpful paperclip to teach you how to turn off the helpful paperclip. That cycle could be endless and I can see many Microsoft Office users being admitted to their local hospital for paranoid delusions and other psychological issues.

Btw, wishing the best for the safe return of your son. If you remember, please thank him from a complete stranger. His bravery for doing that kind of work for our country should never be taken lightly and always remembered.

Thank you! That means a lot.

11. February 22, 2007 at 1:46 am