Sep

Busting the second hand smoke myth

Unfortunately I don’t have time to post a serious rant on this, but luckily there’s a man named Dave Hitt who does it better than anyone. And not just a rant, but serious facts and statistics to back himself up with. Click the link in the upper right hand corner and read this guy’s blog! And remember: if today they can take away my freedoms, tomorrow yours will be next. My own rant on this subject will follow in the very near future. Stay tuned.

7 Responses to “Busting the second hand smoke myth”

1. September 28, 2006 at 11:32 pm

Hey Smith,
    There seems to be an outbreak of spammers lately. Check out the other comments on this post. They hit my blog today too.

I anxiously await your rant on this topic. I’m with you – today my freedoms, tomorrow yours. Constant alertness and the willingness to fight back – know what I’m saying?
    WC

2. 2 julie
    January 7, 2007 at 7:25 pm

All I know is that as an asthmatic, second hand smoke can and has landed me in the hospital with an attack. The cancer thing is strongly argued on both sides, but nothing else responsible people do in public lands me in the hospital (responsible included to rule out drunk driving, etc). I understand the rights thing, but what about my right to breath? I didn’t mind smoking in bars, I avoided those bars that allowed it and went to the ones that disallowed it. I’d feel the same way about restaurants etc. I don’t know how much the government belongs in this whole debacle, but I do know that second hand smoke does affect others in a way few other things do. (I might add that @#%& perfume counters don’t exactly make my life easy, though I’ve never landed in a hospital because of one).

I think disallowing it in public buildings and work places (besides bars or what not) is a good thing. But a smoking area out of the way of the general walking path is fine. (Some jackass would always smoke right outside of my office door which opened to the outside. That is what landed me in the hospital. I love my friends, many are smokers. This particular guy is a jackass because I complained to him many many times AND he was breaking government laws (smoking within whatever feet of a government building, he was maybe one foot from my door) and he didn’t care. Jerks like that ruin it for the reasonably minded people that are willing to work together.

Actually, I agree with most of what you wrote. My point is that the second hand smoke issue is being blown way out of proportion to the actual risk it imposes to most people. Now they’re trying to say that second hand smoke is more dangerous to others than first hand smoke is to the actual smoker. This is clearly nonsense.

But obviously smoking in the presence of an asthmatic is a stupid and inconsiderate thing to do. My point here is that BOTH groups, smokers and non-smokers alike, can be accomodated, but the radical anti smokers (like radical anyones) are not interested in compromise, merely in furthering their own agenda.

3. 3 melanie
    March 21, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I too am bothered by asthma and smoke will cause me to have an attack. My husband and I argue about this subject constantly. Mostly it boils down to personal choice. He smokes and in our situation, he does so outdoors or at work in their smoking room. I smoked for a brief period of time while in school but come by my asthma by my genes. In the second hand case, I had two parents who also smoked and now two children have breathing (my self and my brother). I have worked in the medical field for 32 years so I can see both sides of the argument.
    I don’t know which side I really should go with…maybe the one that helps me to breathe easier.

4. 4 Paula
    January 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I dont htink that smokers should be allowed to smoke indoors. However, if they are one foot from the building, or even leanign on a door outside, i dont see anything wrong wiht that. I also think that if restaurants and bars need to have two separate rooms for smokers and non smokers and that if they only have one room for non smokers, then tehy hsould have a room or something for people who wanna smoke (hey, i hate going outside to smoke in the winter).

also, I think people need to be less “omg. im having a breathing problem because of your smoking and its about to kill me even tho were outside”. seriously those people are soo annoying. like my mom and my friend, if they see someone holding a cigarette, they think theyre getting asthma attacks and shit but if they dont see it and someone is smoking near them, theyre perfectly fine. so there needs to be less publicity about “if youre near someone who is smoking, you may die cause second hand smoke kills” bullshit.

• 5 Erin
      April 27, 2010 at 1:13 am

Second hand smoke in significant quantities IS harmful to one’s health. Ask just about any educated medical professional and they will tell you the same. And if you’re not concerned about the people around you at the bar or whatever, just think about the children that are also at a restaurant where there is smoking. Even in the so called non smoking section, smoke permeates to the air and children breathe it in. Small children are especially susceptible to this second hand smoke. If you have a child, I assume you wouldn’t want to put them in danger. Second hand smoke probably will not kill them, just like letting them ride in the passenger seat when they young probably won’t unless you get in a wreck, but why take the chance? Even people that are anti smoking ban have to agree that second hand smoke does put you at a greater risk for many health problems.

5. September 26, 2016 at 11:31 am

引っ越しを行って一人暮らしをする場合には、単身用パックを利用する方が得することが多いです。もしも、サイズの大きい家具や電化製品を、新しく買うのであれば、引っ越し業者にお願いをしなくても、引っ越しすることができるかもしれません。

初めて一人暮らしをするのに、誰も来てもらわずに自分だけで引っ越しをしたのです。バカげた事をしてしまいました。ヤマトの単身引っ越しパックが好都合だと友人が会話していました。自分だけの引っ越しは業者に頼まないでやった方が費用を抑えることができるしお得に感じるかもしれません。

ですが、実際は大物を運ぶのも骨が折れますし、とても時間も労力もかかるのです。それならば、引っ越し業者の単身パックを依頼した方が安く済みますし時間も手間もかからないので、こちらの方が良いです。