Sep

Just what the world needs…another blogger

I’ve only been putting this off for what seems like years. I used to write prodigiously in high school and college. Even won a few awards. My teachers and professors encouraged me to write for a living. So what did I do? I went into the insurance business, that’s what. Yeah, real clever.

In the fifteen years that I spent in corporate America, something in me died, or at least went into a real deep coma. Certainly the creative muse seemed to leave me. And yet, it wasn’t completely dead. It was just under the surface, nagging me, gnawing away at my conscience, refusing to simply go away no matter how much I wished it would, making me feel guilty for neglecting it.

I heard about something called a blog. I dismissed it as a waste of time. Who the hell is going to read anything I write amid the endless cacophony of the internet? I had a lot of other rationalizations about why I shouldn’t bother, but it really came down to being just plain lazy, and maybe a little afraid as well.

This is where I have to thank someone. Some of you already know him through his blog here on WordPress, “Smoke and Mirrors“. His name is Mike, and I have the pleasure to be his coworker and friend. Mike has been encouraging me to do this for about a year now, so I’ve finally taken his advice.

This is the part where I’m supposed to say that it was Mike’s own wonderful writing as well as his nurturing encouragement that inspired me to take up the pen (keyboard?) myself. Actually, it was more like, “If Mike can do it, how hard can it be?” (This is where I’m supposed to put the little smiley thingey to show that I’m joking, but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet. Guess I’ll have to ask Mike to show me.)

In all seriousness, I owe Mike (who is a fine writer, btw) a debt of gratitude for not giving up on me and encouraging me, no matter how much I whined and made excuses. I do suspect he has an ulterior motive, though. I am probably one of the most opinionated people you will ever come across, and Mike is one of my favorite sounding boards, partly because he’s such a good listener and partly (I suspect) because he’s simply too polite to tell me to shut my pie hole, no matter how insufferable I’m being.

So now I have another outlet to vent my opinions besides poor Mike. Believe me, I will not be shy in expressing them. If you like what I write, I hope you will leave comments.

If you don’t like what I write…blame Mike.

–Smith

8 Responses to “Just what the world needs…another blogger”

1. September 8, 2006 at 10:35 am

Coolbeans.
    Nice post, Smith.
    I can see we need to sit down and talk about hyperlinks.:)

2. 2 mmm
    September 8, 2006 at 10:39 am

btw-
    you got your first link…

3. September 9, 2006 at 1:52 am

Hey Smith!
    I have pretty much the same story about Mike. Though I think he persuaded me sooner than you.

Welcome to the cacaphony (I really love that word) of the Internet. Get your pot and wooden stick and start banging – it gets pretty noisy in here.

WC

4. September 12, 2006 at 10:42 pm

Welcome to the ‘sphere’. Now just let it rip.

5. September 13, 2006 at 5:12 am

Ok, so if I don’t like what you write I get to go yell am Michael, but what if I like it? Does he get the accolades or you going to take credit for finally giving in to him??!! I know if it was me, it would most certainly be the latter. πŸ™‚

6. September 13, 2006 at 12:16 pm

Welcome Smith! Michael has been after me too πŸ˜‰ I’ve become a blogslacker as well. Looking forward to your posts.
    SnotSucker

7. September 13, 2006 at 8:14 pm

Hey there, welcome….. hm…. guess that might be the secret to becoming a successful writing blogger, having someone that believes in one’s writing and working in the insurance industry. Scary thought…….